The Perfect Resume team reveals the best way to apply for a job today!
Are you someone whose jobs are affected by the current pandemic? Do you need to start the job search today but do not know where to start? Or have you tried sending a lot of applications but have not had any luck?
As a Resume Writer, we understand that applying for a job can be a stressful process and with the COVID-19 crisis, there has been an increase in the unemployment rate, which means chances of finding a job has decreased.
There are many ways to apply for a job today, but with growing competition, you might want to start being strategic! You could opt for resume writing services or build yourself an excellent CV to embed in an online job site profile. Here, we have listed the best and most effective ways on how to start looking for a job.
What is the best way to apply for a job?
- Search for jobs related to your field
The most common way to do a job search today is through an internet search. You can create an account in several job sites or start making connections on social media. LinkedIn is the most popular one. With job sites, it is easier to connect with employers who are looking for skills and experience. With that said, you may want to identify first the qualifications a company is looking for in your field.
- Research the company before you apply
During this COVID-19 pandemic, it is important to focus your search on companies that are in essential services. Do an online search for your target company and pay attention to its goals and needs during these times. Start with the company websites as they are a good source of job listings, then apply directly on the company website or contact the actual hiring manager as much as possible.
- Optimise your resume and cover letter
Make sure that your resume is up to date. Review the job description and see if the skills are relevant to the role that you are applying for. Tailoring your CV is so important today. You want the reader to not only see you have the skills to do the job, but you can excel in the role. This may mean you start to build up a collection of resumes! 75% of companies utilise Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS) for recruitment so you might also want to know if your resume is ATS compliant. It is usual nowadays to opt for a resume writing service. Most of them provide a resume, cover letter, and a LinkedIn update as well. The team at The Perfect Resume can certainly tailor your resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile to your requirements.
- Submit resume and online application
If you think your resume and cover letter are ready, you can now start sending your applications with confidence. Here are some tips to guide you through.
- Follow the directions! Aside from resume and cover letter, some companies may require other attachments such as selection criteria, video self-introduction, and personal portfolios, so you better prepare for that as well. If the job role asks for these to be addressed, you will not be considered for the position if you do not include one.
- Read the description thoroughly to make sure you are qualified and have the necessary skills.
- Utilise professional email etiquette, especially when using an email to apply for jobs. By making sure all communication is professionally written, messages are properly formatted, your signature contains contact details, and the subject line includes a relevant topic line, you are more likely to be received well.
- Complete a job application regardless of whether it is a paper or online application and make sure to fill out every field on the application form.
- Do not forget to attach the resume, cover letter, and relevant documents as required. Import the data from them if necessary, to avoid errors on your entry.
- Review your application before you hit the “submit’ button.
- Be interview ready
You have worked hard to create an impressive image of your profile and resume, be sure you are also prepared to ace yourself once you land a coveted interview spot. Think about your past experiences, determine your strengths and weakness, and remember your research about the company. You should be able to identify the kind of work environment you will be working on.
Is it better to apply online or in-person for a job?
With today’s technology and digital age, using online sites to do a job search has already been a trend, even before the spread of COVID-19. Online hiring makes the application process easier for both the company and applicants. Some situations may require face-to-face interviews, depending on the role that you are applying for. Still, commonly, companies today opt to do a virtual interview with the help of online tools for video calls such as Skype and Zoom.
What do you say when applying for a job in person?
In cases where you are expected to apply in person, it is essential that you are also prepared with what you need to bring, what you should wear, and the information you’ll need to complete a job application. Do not forget to bring a copy of your sample job application with all your data required for the job. If you did avail a resume writing service, make sure you ask for the digital copy and save in on a USB stick to bring along with you. Treat your job application like a job interview. Dress appropriately and be ready to answer questions professionally. Treat the rest of the company staff the same as they may provide their feedback to the manager.
How do I get a job in 2020?
Internet is the best way to do a job search today. Look online and create a profile in job sites. You may also want to visit the company websites directly. Build your networks in social media and make sure to respond to ads if you feel you are ready, especially when you think that you are well suited for the job. You might have to send out several applications before you find the right job for you, but do not lose hope. Take every day as a new opportunity. With perseverance and hard work, you can get the employer’s attention and achieve your career goals.
If you are worried that your resume, cover letter, selection criteria or LinkedIn profile isn't going to help you to stand out, send The Perfect Resume team an email: firstname.lastname@example.org. We can review what you have and offer some feedback on how to uplift your application! Free of charge.
Other Blogs That May Help