Tailoring your resume to a Business Development Specialist position is mandatory today to ensure that your application will pass Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS). In doing so, your resume will be read by the prospective employer. Then, fingers crossed, you will be shortlisted as a potential candidate and be called for not one, but multiple job interviews!
Firstly, before you apply to be a Business Development Specialist, you need to be acquainted with what a Business Development Specialist does!
Business Development Specialists handle the branding initiatives and business growth activities.
Hiring Managers are looking for a resourceful Business Development Specialist to assist in identifying opportunities for business growth and optimising marketing strategies. They analyse business processes and finances, implement business plans, and establish effective networks. They may also be involved in merger and acquisition strategies.
To be successful as a Business Development Specialist, you should have knowledge of necessary corporate procedures, be open to learning, and have strong communication skills. Ultimately, a high performing Business Development Specialist should be able to achieve valued customer relationships and negotiate successful deals.
Knowing this, your resume and online profile should include the hard and soft skills that the recruiter or hiring manager is looking for in a candidate.
The Business Development Specialist position description template will also contain pivotal information about what the candidate will need to do daily. Such as:
• Analyzing and expanding business operations toward sustained growth.
• Monitoring revenue streams and identifying opportunities to increase profitability.
• Evaluating and improving sales, marketing, and branding strategies.
• Identifying and developing new lines of business based on consumer behavior.
• Performing competitor analysis toward obtaining an increased market share.
• Developing client relationships and strengthening industry partnerships.
• Identifying new clients by researching and creating networking opportunities.
• Negotiating and closing business deals that promote sustained revenue.
• Liaising with Sales, Marketing, and Management to align strategies aimed at increasing revenue.
• Assessing and advising on potential joint ventures, mergers, and acquisitions.
You will also have some requirements and personal attributes that you will need to demonstrate in your resume to ensure your potential employer will take your application seriously, such as:
• Bachelor's Degree in Business Development or Marketing, or similar.
• Master of Business Administration Degree (MBA) preferred.
• Previous experience as a Business Development Specialist in a related industry.
• Proficiency in integrated business management and CRM software, including NetSuite and Odoo.
• Advanced knowledge of business development, marketing strategies, and brand expansion.
• Experience in identifying profitable business opportunities and potential clients.
• Exceptional ability to analyze market trends and competitor behavior.
• Ability to maintain strong client relationships and establish industry partnerships.
• Competency in negotiating and closing business deals.
You may also want to do some industry research to find out what other companies want in their Business Development Specialists.