The Perfect Freelance Writer Resume Writing Tips
Do you want to apply for a Freelance Writer position to help you get closer to your career goals? Applying for jobs on Seek, LinkedIn, and other job boards can be a time-consuming process, however, to streamline the process, you can ensure your resume writing helps you to stand out from the crowd, and your online profile helps you to get an interview!
If a recruiter or hiring manager are looking for a Freelance Writer, they are searching for specific transferable skills. With less than ten people being interviewed for the job and hundreds of people, just like you, applying, The Perfect Resume team have created Resume Writing Tips to help you stand out from the others.
What do recruiters look for in a Freelance Writer resume or an online profile?
Tailoring your resume to a Freelance Writer position is mandatory today to ensure that your application will pass Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS). In doing so, your resume will be read by the prospective employer. Then, fingers crossed, you will be shortlisted as a potential candidate and be called for not one, but multiple job interviews!
Firstly, before you apply to be a Freelance Writer, you need to be acquainted with what a Freelance Writer does!
Freelance Writers handle the content writing projects for one or more customers.
Hiring Managers are looking for a highly motivated Freelance Writer to assist in overseeing all aspects of this production process, from inception to submission, including liaising with the client to delineate assignment-related expectations.
To be successful as a Freelance Writer, you should have knowledge of necessary corporate procedures, be open to learning, and have strong communication skills. Ultimately, a high performing Freelance Writer should be able to achieve a profitable portfolio of clients to work with and tailor writing styles to accommodate the needs of different audiences.
Knowing this, your resume and online profile should include the hard and soft skills that the recruiter or hiring manager is looking for in a candidate.
The Freelance Writer position description template will also contain pivotal information about what the candidate will need to do daily. Such as:
• Formulating texts in accordance with prescribed editorial and formatting guidelines.
• Communicating with the client to explicate assignment-related expectations, as required.
• Informing the client of assignment-related difficulties as they are detected.
• Ensuring that texts are properly researched.
• Maintaining originality in your work.
• Proofreading your assignments to detect and correct errors.
• Submitting completed works via the requisite channels.
• Monitoring and logging hours spent on each assignment.
• Submitting your own tax returns in a timely manner.
You will also have some requirements and personal attributes that you will need to demonstrate in your resume to ensure your potential employer will take your application seriously, such as:
• Bachelor's degree in creative writing, journalism, communication studies, or an adjacent field.
• Prior writing experience, preferably as a freelancer.
• Portfolio of completed works.
• Own personal or laptop computer.
• Familiarity with mainstream word processing software.
• Excellent communication and time management skills.
• Capacity to work with minimal supervision.
• Self-motivated, disciplined approach to work.
You may also want to do some industry research to find out what other companies want in their Freelance Writers.