Do you want to apply for a HR Assistant position to help you get closer to your career goals? Applying for jobs on Seek, LinkedIn, and other job boards can be a time-consuming process, however, to streamline the process, you can ensure your resume writing helps you to stand out from the crowd, and your online profile helps you to get an interview!
If a recruiter or hiring manager are looking for a HR Assistant, they are searching for specific transferable skills. With less than ten people being interviewed for the job and hundreds of people, just like you, applying, The Perfect Resume team have created Resume Writing Tips to help you stand out from the others.
What do recruiters look for in a HR Assistant resume or an online profile?
Tailoring your resume to a HR Assistant position is mandatory today to ensure that your application will pass Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS). In doing so, your resume will be read by the prospective employer. Then, fingers crossed, you will be shortlisted as a potential candidate and be called for not one, but multiple job interviews!
Firstly, before you apply to be a HR Assistant, you need to be acquainted with what a HR Assistant does!
HR Assistants handle the daily administrative and HR duties of an organization. They assist HR managers with recruitment, record maintenance and payroll processing, and provide clerical support to all employees.
Hiring Managers are looking for a conceptual thinker and motivated HR Assistant to assist in supporting all internal and external HR related inquiries or requests.
To be successful as a HR Assistant, you should have knowledge of necessary corporate procedures, be open to learning, and have strong communication skills. Ultimately, a high performing HR Assistant should be able to achieve superb organizational and time management and outstanding administrative and communication skills.
Knowing this, your resume and online profile should include the hard and soft skills that the recruiter or hiring manager is looking for in a candidate.
The HR Assistant position description template will also contain pivotal information about what the candidate will need to do daily. Such as:
• Maintaining digital and electronic records of employees.
• Serving as a point of contact with benefit vendors and administrators.
• Assisting with the recruitment process by identifying candidates, performing reference checks and issuing employment contracts.
• Maintaining calendars of the HR management team.
• Overseeing the completion of compensation and benefit documentation.
• Assisting with performance management procedures.
• Scheduling meetings, interviews, HR events and maintaining agendas.
• Coordinating training sessions and seminars.
• Performing orientations and updating records of new staff.
• Producing and submitting reports on general HR activity.
You will also have some requirements and personal attributes that you will need to demonstrate in your resume to ensure your potential employer will take your application seriously, such as:
• Bachelors degree in human resources or related (essential).
• 2 years of experience as an HR assistant (essential).
• Exposure to labor law and employment equity regulations.
• Effective HR administration and people management skills.
• Exposure to payroll practices.
• Full understanding of HR functions and best practices.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Works well under pressure and meets tight deadlines.
• Highly computer literate with capability in email, MS Office and related business and communication tools.
You may also want to do some industry research to find out what other companies want in their HR Assistants.