Do you want to apply for a HR Generalist position to help you get closer to your career goals? Applying for jobs on Seek, LinkedIn, and other job boards can be a time-consuming process, however, to streamline the process, you can ensure your resume writing helps you to stand out from the crowd, and your online profile helps you to get an interview!
If a recruiter or hiring manager are looking for a HR Generalist, they are searching for specific transferable skills. With less than ten people being interviewed for the job and hundreds of people, just like you, applying, The Perfect Resume team have created Resume Writing Tips to help you stand out from the others.
What do recruiters look for in a HR Generalist resume or an online profile?
Tailoring your resume to a HR Generalist position is mandatory today to ensure that your application will pass Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS). In doing so, your resume will be read by the prospective employer. Then, fingers crossed, you will be shortlisted as a potential candidate and be called for not one, but multiple job interviews!
Firstly, before you apply to be a HR Generalist, you need to be acquainted with what a HR Generalist does!
HR Generalists handle the human resources responsibilities and activities of an organization.
Hiring Managers are looking for a analytical HR Generalist to assist in managing recruitment processes, employee relations, regulatory compliance, and training and development.
To be successful as a HR Generalist, you should have knowledge of necessary corporate procedures, be open to learning, and have strong communication skills. Ultimately, a high performing HR Generalist should be able to achieve strong decision-making skills with a deep understanding of employee relationships, staffing management and training and the ability to multitask and adapt in a fast-paced environment.
Knowing this, your resume and online profile should include the hard and soft skills that the recruiter or hiring manager is looking for in a candidate.
The HR Generalist position description template will also contain pivotal information about what the candidate will need to do daily. Such as:
• Assisting with all internal and external HR-related matters.
• Participating in developing organizational guidelines and procedures.
• Recommending strategies to motivate employees.
• Assisting with the recruitment process by identifying candidates, conducting reference checks and issuing employment contracts.
• Investigaing complaints brought forward by employees.
• Coordinating employee development plans and performance management.
• Performing orientations and update records of new staff.
• Managing the organization’s employee database and prepare reports.
• Producing and submit reports on general HR activity.
• Assisting with budget monitoring and payroll.
You will also have some requirements and personal attributes that you will need to demonstrate in your resume to ensure your potential employer will take your application seriously, such as:
• Bachelors degree in human resources or related (essential).
• 2 years of experience as an HR coordinator (essential).
• Deep understanding of Labor Law and employment equity regulations.
• Efficient HR administration and people management skills.
• Excellent record-keeping skills.
• Fantastic knowledge of HR functions and best practices.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Works comfortably under pressure and meets tight deadlines.
• Superb computer literacy with capability in email, MS Office and related HR software.
You may also want to do some industry research to find out what other companies want in their HR Generalists.