The Perfect VP of Marketing Resume Writing Tips
Do you want to apply for a VP of Marketing position to help you get closer to your career goals? Applying for jobs on Seek, LinkedIn, and other job boards can be a time-consuming process, however, to streamline the process, you can ensure your resume writing helps you to stand out from the crowd, and your online profile helps you to get an interview!
If a recruiter or hiring manager are looking for a VP of Marketing, they are searching for specific transferable skills. With less than ten people being interviewed for the job and hundreds of people, just like you, applying, The Perfect Resume team have created Resume Writing Tips to help you stand out from the others.
What do recruiters look for in a VP of Marketing resume or an online profile?
Tailoring your resume to a VP of Marketing position is mandatory today to ensure that your application will pass Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS). In doing so, your resume will be read by the prospective employer. Then, fingers crossed, you will be shortlisted as a potential candidate and be called for not one, but multiple job interviews!
Firstly, before you apply to be a VP of Marketing, you need to be acquainted with what a VP of Marketing does!
VP of Marketings handle the strategic brand management, review budgets, set goals, conduct market research, and help maintain an appropriate image of the company.
Hiring Managers are looking for a results-driven VP of Marketing to assist in Analysing existing branding and marketing strategies and improving upon them.
To be successful as a VP of Marketing, you should have knowledge of necessary Marketing and Communications procedures, be open to learning, and have strong communication skills. Ultimately, a quality VP of Marketing should be able to achieve targets, and establish relationships with the media and clients and build relationships with a variety of professionals.
Knowing this, your resume and online profile should include the hard and soft skills that the recruiter or hiring manager is looking for in a candidate.
The VP of Marketing position description template will also contain pivotal information about what the candidate will need to do daily. Such as:
• Leading a capable marketing team and delegating tasks fairly.
• Preparing and reviewing monthly, quarterly, and yearly budgets, and allocating resources appropriately.
• Reporting to the company director or the business owner.
• Conducting market research and implementing new strategies based on findings.
• Monitoring industry trends and scheduling meetings to share new information with the team.
• Setting daily, weekly, monthly and yearly targets, and implementing various incentives to ensure they are achieved.
• Closely monitoring competitors’ successes and failures and learning from them.
• Supervising marketing events and launches and using these spaces to network with industry professionals.
• Assisting with the recruitment, training, and onboarding of new staff.
Monitoring and maintaining the media budget.Creativity in securing coverage and buzz with traditional outlets. position description will also have some requirements and personal attributes that you will need to demonstrate in your resume to ensure your potential employer will take your application seriously:
• BSc in marketing, branding, business, PR, or a similar field.
• Master’s degree may be preferable.
• Extensive experience in a similar role.
• Superb marketing and research skills.
• Knowledge and practical experience with SEO, digital marketing tools, and related software.
• Highly observant and analytical.
• Strong leadership skills and the ability to make difficult decisions.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
• Willingness to travel and work long hours.
You may also want to do some industry research to find out what other companies want in their VP of Marketings.