Are you looking at becoming an Animal Technician? They observe and care for animals, which are typically used for breeding, scientific and research purposes.
An Animal Technician is an extremely competitive role to get into. Currently, there are only 51 positions for an Animal Technician across Australia with a common salary of $60k per year. However, you still have a chance. The Perfect Resume team has helped others to get into the Science & Technology industry and believe we can increase your chances with our resume writing services also!
To apply for an Animal Technician position, your resume will need to prove you can work one-on-one with animals to support veterinary, pharmaceutical, agricultural and medical scientists and students with their work.
Recruiters and prospective employers will also be looking for transferable skills in:
- Checking on and recording the stats of animals in care.
- Preparing and providing food, water, care and medications.
- Cleaning out enclosures and facilities daily.
- Cleaning and disinfecting cages and equipment.
- Carrying out tests and experiments on animals and recording the results, under supervision and in accordance with the governing law and organisational ethics policy.
- Observing animals's reaction to tests.
- Undertaking animal enrichment activities.
- Assisting to return animals to the wild.
- Establishing and managing breeding programs, with supervision from a veterinarian.
- Tending to animals after tests and surgeries, including cleaning and dressing wounds, and administering drugs.
- Providing humane, supervised euthanasia for animals, and handling the bodies of animals that have died.
Further criteria you may need to satisfy, depending on the job requirements include volunteering at your local animal rescue organisation or veterinary clinic to gain on the job experience, completing a Certificate III in Captive Animals (ACM30317) or a Diploma of Animal Technology (ACM50117) through TAFE or a registered training organisation.
If you want to work towards becoming a Veterinarian or Zoologist, consider a Bachelor of Veterinary Biology and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.
The Perfect Resume Services
When applying for an Animal Technician position, your resume needs to tell a story about your skills, expertise, talents and passions and in a highly competitive job market, standing out matters!
The team at The Perfect Resume are skilled in writing resumes for Animal Technicians and have proven success in helping people land interviews and the job they want! We offer all job seekers a free resume review, ATS Scan, guides and templates and genuinely care about your career outcomes, partnering with you on your job search journey, following up and providing ongoing support. You will not feel like you are on your own!