David is 34 years old and has been working at a job for four years. He loves his coworkers, but the hours are not ideal for spending more time with his family. As a result, he starts looking into other jobs. The only problem? David does not have any experience in anything besides what he has done for the last four years. How can David make the best decision for his future when he feels stuck?
Jane had been working at her job for two years when she started to hate her new boss. The straw that broke the camel's back was when her boss criticized her work in front of her coworkers. Jane quit her job in a fiery display, telling her boss exactly what she thought of him. She was sure that this was the start of a new and better career. However, in tears, Jane contacted us a few months later. Word had spread through her network about the way she left the organisation. Now Jane is unemployed and struggling to make rent. What would your advice to Jane be?
Are you thinking of quitting your job but unsure what job you want to apply for next? Would you like to know what a career planning strategy is and how it can help you decide what is next? If so, read on!
How can you plan your career when you don't know what you want to do?
Having a career plan is the key to financial and vocational success. Whether you are just starting out in your career or looking to make a change, being armed with a solid plan is essential to achieving career satisfaction in your job.
The Perfect Resume's team of experts can help you map out your career path and set targets to achieve your career development goals. Offering extensive career planning services, we can support you with award-winning career coaching and counselling sessions.
Career planning is important at any stage of your life!
If you start plotting out your career early, you can avoid making costly mistakes down the road. Similarly, you can avoid wasting precious time studying subjects that aren't aligned with your end career goal and future vision. A career planning strategy involves taking into account your personal strengths and weaknesses, along with the industry landscape and job market conditions. It is also important to research different career options and what it would take to achieve these goals.
Creating a tailored career plan will help you focus on your long-term objectives, set realistic targets and make better choices when it comes to your career.
Here are our Top-5 reasons why you should start thinking about your career development early on in life and devise strong career planning strategies:
- Achieve financial Independence: Without a plan, it can be difficult to identify opportunities for wage growth and promotion. A career plan will help you stay on track with your financial goals and make informed decisions about your career.
- Increase your sense of clarity and direction: If you analyse your personal strengths and motivators, you can ensure you have a fulfilling and rewarding career. Take some time to figure out your core values, write a list of what you are good at and what type of work would make you happy in your working life then set relevant goals.
- Set realistic career goals: Don't set yourself up for disappointment by aiming too high or too low. Assess your transferrable skills, natural talents, and experience to map out a clear strategy based on your potential, abilities, and overall life goals.
- Create a Plan B: What will your next career move be if you don't find a job in your desired field? Are there related fields within your preferred industry that will provide similar experiences and satisfaction that match your developing skills better? What is the state of the current job market?
- Have an achievable plan: With awareness of both your short term goals and long term goals. Most people are impatient and try to rush the process! It takes time and effort to achieve your career goals, including planning to gain the required qualifications, certifications, and licenses as you progress along your career path.
Remember, it is never too later to make a plan!
A career planning strategy is important because it helps you stay focused on what you want in life. It also gives you a roadmap to follow, which can increase your chances of success and lead you to new challenges aligned with your goals.
We all want to earn a good income but to ensure sustainability and maintain long-term employment, it is equally important to ensure you are satisfied, valued, and happy in the role you choose.
Accepting that you may need to start at the bottom, earning less than your ideal income while you gain new skills, is something you may want to consider as you are undertaking the career planning process. It is time to set smart goals!
How to get started on your career planning strategy?
By applying a forward-thinking approach to career planning, you will have a solid foundation to build from. Whether you're a job seeker just getting started in your profession, starting your own business, or seeking to alter jobs, The Perfect Resume's team of professionals provide consulting services that will assist you in developing a strategic career plan.
It's hard to know where to start when it comes to career planning. You might not even know what you want in a career, let alone the steps involved in achieving career satisfaction. Our specialist Career Coach is here to guide you.
Here are 4 steps to help you get started on your career planning journey:
- Determine your goals: What do you want in a career? What are your values? What kind of work would make you happy? Take some time to figure out what you want in your working life before moving on to the next step.
- Research your options: Once you have a general idea of what you want, it's time to focus and do some research. Learn as much as you can about different careers and potential employers, and find one that matches your goals, industry knowledge, and interests.
- Create a plan: Now that you know what you want and where you're headed, it's time to write a plan of action for your future. This will help you stay on track and achieve your career goals.
- Take action: The final step is to take action and put your plan into motion. This might mean making a change in your current career, increasing your knowledge of business processes, attaining new skills to operate new technology, creating or updating your LinkedIn profile, or going back to school to get the training you need for your desired profession.
It is vital to document what you need to do in the next week, month, three months, and further down the track to put your career plan into action. Having an up to date list of steps means you'll be more likely to identify any gaps, and your next career goal will be more apparent as you build on your foundation of skills and experience.
That's where The Perfect Resume comes in!
With the guidance of our expert Career Coach and top-notch career counselling services, we can help you figure out what you want and how to get there. With our specialist team in your corner, you can take the first step on your career trajectory and make the changes you need to achieve your dreams.
We offer a variety of services that can help you reach your goals, including resume writing, cover letter and key selection criteria document preparation, LinkedIn profile, career counselling, career coaching, and job search assistance. Visit our website today to learn more about how we can help you!
Are you looking for a new career path?
How to quit a job that no longer fits my career plan?
Quitting your current job can be a scary prospect, but if you have a plan in place, you can feel confident in your decision and quit your job without regret.
Here are three steps to help you quit your job with confidence:
- Make a list of your reasons for quitting. Are they reasons that you can remedy within your current role? By discussing your long term goals with your current employer, could you explore amending your current job or transferring within your current organisation? Before you take any major steps, ensure that you can't achieve what you want where you are.
- If you have decided that your current role and organisation do not hold opportunities to satisfy your career goals, then it is time to draft a resignation letter for your human resources department. Remaining professional and respectful are essential; handling this topic with tact and diplomacy is important to maintaining a solid reputation within your professional network and will ensure you have a strong industry reference to carry forward.
- Once the resignation letter is completed, you will need to focus on the timing of your career transition. Have you found another role to move into? Do you need a certain period of time before you can resign? What period of notice will you need to give to both your current employer and prospective employer?
Get started on your career planning today!
Discover your ideal career with The Perfect Resume's free career quiz by clicking here or the link below!
With The Perfect Resume's team of experts by your side every step of the way, your career planning and career progression will be seamless. Our career coaching services will help you take your career development planning to the next level of success and secure the new job you are dreaming of.
Our resume writing services are designed with care, so we'll make sure that yours stands out from the crowd.
With the help of our expert team of extraordinary writers, you can equip yourself with an array of professional documents and a portfolio that will help you put your best foot forward. We are the best in the business and deliver outstanding results for our clients!
- Expert career coaching to set goals.
- Resume writing services.
- Cover letter and key selection criteria document preparation.
- LinkedIn profile.
- Get the guidance you need to figure out what you want in a career and implement planning strategies.
- Remain up to date on the current job market and set realistic short term goals.
- Feel empowered as you gain new skills.
- Quit your job with confidence and step towards your future.
- Transition smoothly into your new career.
So if you're looking for help planning your career, The Perfect Resume can assist! Visit our website today to learn more.
Recommended reading suggestions:
- Why calling the recruiter before you apply for a job helps you land an interview?
- Here’s everything candidates need to know about an ATS
- Job Search Tips: How long do you wait for an interview call?
- Address selection criteria examples
- Create a winning resume format 2022