Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) | The Perfect Resume
Whether you are after a full suite of career assistance or just need a tailored cover letter for a new position, The Perfect Resume professional writers can help. Please see answers to some of the frequently asked questions below:
If you answer "no" or "unsure" to any of the following, you should have your resume at least reviewed by a Professional Resume Writer:
- Do you know what an Applicant Tracking System (ATS) is and how it affects your resume?
- Have you addressed known recruiter biases?
- Is your resume tailored towards the position you are applying for?
- Have you included the industry-specific keywords in your resume?
- Is your resume written in first person language?
- Have you utilised action-oriented verbs?
- Have you included your name and contact details on every page of your resume?
- Have you added achievements with facts and figures onto your resume?
- Is your resume modern or does it make you look old?
- Have you had someone else proofread your resume?
If you answered "no" or "unsure" send us your resume and we will provide a free critique. Email: email@example.com today.
- After the purchase has been made, a Professional Resume Writer will be allocated to your profile, and get in contact with you. They will request a copy of your existing resume and any other information that may be useful, for example, project results, statistics on marketing campaigns etc.
- You will get to choose which resume template you would like to use. Our templates are all graphically designed, personality inspired, use colour psychology and are eye-catching to assist your application to stand out.
- Your information will be reviewed and further information may be requested about your skills, work or volunteer experiences, career achievements or awards.
- Your Professional Resume Writer will then provide you with a first draft and request feedback on whether you would like to make any changes.
- A final draft will be provided in both a fully editable Microsoft Word version and Adobe PDF format.
When will I be able to use my resume to apply for vacant positions?
Our turnaround from receipt of your existing resume (or questionnaire if you do not have a resume) to the first draft delivery is three to seven business days. If you have an urgent request, please select the express delivery option to let your Professional Resume Writer know and you will be bumped to the top of the queue!
No. Resume Package #1 is our cheapest package and includes a new design, professional resume edits and ATS optimised content. Between two to four hours is spent updating the resume. A cover letter is then created using research conducted on the positions you are going to apply for. This research also helps us to identify significant keywords used in position descriptions, review industry leaders and help us to identify what they are looking for in a candidate. These research findings are then implemented across the resume and cover letter to enable the resume to pass Applicant Tracking Systems used by recruiters.
Once the update is completed, a second professional resume writer proofreads the content and makes further optimisations. These services are all included in the price. To purchase Resume Package #1 click here.
Resume Package #3 includes a everything in package #1 as well as an optimised LinkedIn profile.
If you would like to discuss your resume over the phone, we recommend purchasing resume package #4 which includes the career counselling session.
What is the process for Resume Package #4 (Resume, cover letter, LinkedIn profile update and career counselling session)
Resume Package #4 enhances the resume’s content dramatically. It gives the Resume Writer a sense of who you are as a person, what achievements you have had and what needs to stand out for an employer. The process for package three is as follows:
- We book an appointment for the career session. Your Career Counsellor / Resume Writer asks questions about your background, what you are looking for in terms of positions and the conversation flows on from there. Some people have said it feels like a mini interview as it gets you thinking about achievements and career moments you had forgotten about. Everyone finds the session immensely empowering as you start to realise your career story is unique and defining.
- After the session, your Resume Writer will create your resume and cover letter and request any revisions to be made. (you have unlimited revisions until your resume is at a point you feel confident to use it to apply for jobs).
- Once the resume and cover letter are approved by you we will create your LinkedIn profile document. We use information from your resume and cover letter to populate the document. There are two ways we can have the LinkedIn profile completed. The first is to leave the LinkedIn document with you and you copy and paste the sections yourself. Most people, however, opt to change their password to something generic. Provide the details to us when we log in as you and update it that way. We don’t have a preference for either method!
Do you provide an interview guarantee?
We are dedicated to your success and confident you will be offered an interview within 90-days. In the event you are not offered an interview, we offer a free resume review and career counselling session to analyse any feedback provided by recruitment advisors.
Yes! We offer unlimited revisions on all resume writing services until you are confident to start using it to apply for jobs. Once you start using the resume to apply for new positions new editions with job updates etc are available for a fraction of the price. Simply select Secondary Resume Editions from the drop-down menu. Click here to view the prices.
Why do I need to pay upfront for the services? What happens if I am not satisfied with the final product?
Unfortunately, we have experienced customers who were perfectly happy with the product skip out on payment. Our values lay in enhancing our service offering, not wasting our time chasing payments. For this reason, we require upfront payments. To ease your thoughts, we offer unlimited revisions and an interview guarantee within 90-days. Our 5-star reviews attest to our high-standard! Click here to read them.
The 60-minute career counselling session is extremely useful for providing direction to your job search. Narrowing down exactly what you want and focusing your resume, cover letter and LinkedIn profile towards those roles become easy when you work through your goals, barriers to success, achievements etc. People who opt for this package have greater success in landing an interview because the application is tailored and exactly what the manager is looking for. The career session is conducted via phone call so you can relax in the comfort of your own home.
Do you copy and paste the resume information into LinkedIn?
If you have purchased the Resume Package #3 (Resume, Cover Letter & LinkedIn profile update) from us, your new professionally edited resume is used for the LinkedIn profile. If you have opted for a stand-alone LinkedIn profile we give your content an overhaul. There are mixed debates about the LinkedIn profile. Some people say it should be a direct replica of your resume to show recruiters you are consistent and not fudging your resume to get the job. Others say it should be completely different and more personality based. We have asked several expert recruiters who have said they only go to LinkedIn to confirm details on the resume and consistency is key! They also said a different LinkedIn profile opens candidates up to further bias. So we adopt a consistent approach.
Do you "copy and paste" my resume onto a new template only?
This is one of the most common concerns raised by clients and one which we are keen to eliminate. Our strong answer is "No! " We offer a professional writing service and will ensure your quality of writing is significantly improved. Certain languages such as IT, engineering or medical language simply cannot be changed without changing the meaning. In these instances, the information will remain consistent. But as a general rule, we reward and improve phrases as much as possible and never copy and paste.
How long should my resume be?
You have approximately six seconds to impress your employer. Today 1-2 pages are the industry preference. One executive on LinkedIn mentioned they only look at the front page! Even if it is 2 pages long! They use this as a culling technique and hundreds of people commented that they do the same. Executives get three pages, there have been comments that people who are not executives with three pages think they are better than they really are. It is truly concerning how much bias enters a recruitment decision!
Should I include a career history spanning more than 10 years?
Covering more than 10 years shows you are hanging onto the past and recruiter bias starts to creep in e.g. age, progressing your career too quickly, not quick enough, job hopping etc. We don’t recommend it. One of our clients went against our recommendation (which we are always happy to do as long as you are making an informed decision) and asked for feedback about why her application was rejected. They outright told her she didn’t get the job because she had included jobs more than 10 years earlier (the recruiter used this as a culling technique) The recruiter then bluntly said there is enough published material out there to acknowledge this fact and bluntly asked why she had included it knowing the industry standard. Safe to say she didn’t have a good enough answer to the Why question… she kindly asked us to remove it the extended history! The only exception to this recommendation is if you have been in your current position for more than ten years. A prior job may add further credibility to your case granted it is relevant to the position you are applying for.
CV or resume? What is the difference?
They both refer to the same document. There are no differences. UK, Ireland, New Zealand and South America utilise CV. Australia, US and Canada utilise resume. We cater for Australian candidates therefore we will name your file name as a resume.
Can you cover up a career break?
Yes! We eliminate unnecessary detail from the resume including listing months. If you have had a career break of more than one year we also have ways of ensuring the gap is eliminated. Send us an email to find out how.
If you have a question that isn't listed here, we want to hear from you. Please send us an enquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org
- choosing a selection results in a full page refresh